Pick a Category to browse:

Tuesday 16 November 2010

I Wish

I could be as good as this! Jeff Lemire has fast become one of my favourite comic book artists/writers. A lovely man in the comic book shop suggested 'Sweet Tooth' to me, and I can't thank him enough. Here's a little blurb so you can get the drift before I babble on too much:

"After being raised in total isolation, Gus – a boy born with deer-like antlers – is left to survive in an American landscape devastated a decade earlier by an inexplicable pandemic.
Enter Jepperd, a violent, hulking drifter who soon takes in Gus and promises to lead him to "The Preserve," a fabled safe-haven for hybrid children."


The artwork really is a bit great.... love the sketchy lines and sweet shop colours. But it's the story and characters that win me over. The story line so far seems very much like that of Cormac McCarthys 'The Road'. But it's not as depressing; Gus- or 'Sweet Tooth' has a brilliant naivety about him that brings a little bit of gentle comedy into the harsh post apocalyptic world. I have definitely been left waiting on the edge of my seat for the next issue!



No comments:

Post a Comment